A personal injury case relates to when one person suffers harm from an accident or injury, and someone else may be legally responsible. The harm must be physical, mental, or emotional, versus involving property. Cases of this nature often seek compensation for medical bills, lost wages, future bills, physical suffering, mental pain and anguish, disfigurement, and loss of enjoyment of life.
Compensation is typically awarded to the victim themselves, or even immediate family members, such as a spouse.
Types of Personal Injury Cases
Personal injury encompasses a wide variety of cases and it’s difficult to put the examples in a single category.
Common examples of bodily harm cases:
- Automobile accidents
- Workplace accidents
- Product defect accidents
- Medical malpractice
- Nursing home abuse
Common examples of non-bodily harm cases:
- Intentional infliction of emotional distress
- False detention, arrest, or imprisonment
- Malicious prosecution
- Invasion of privacy
Legal Elements of Personal Injury Cases
You may have a viable personal injury claim if you can prove:
- Negligence: A person or company failed to act in a manner that shows a reasonable level of care for another. In short, someone’s carelessness caused an injury.
- Strict Liability: A person or company is responsible for an injury even though they did not act negligently or intend to cause harm.
- Intentional Wrong: Someone intentionally caused harm, whether physical or emotional.
Establishing proof of these elements is difficult and time consuming, making it critically important to hire legal support for your case.
Damages and Compensation for Personal Injury Claims
Because personal injury cases are so varied, there is no set range of compensation you can expect to be awarded in these suits. Damages for personal injury can include:
- Medical expenses
- Lost wages
- Pain and suffering
- Mental and emotional distress
- Household assistance
Free Personal Injury Case Evaluation
GT Law Firm has successfully handled personal injury cases for over 30 years. Increase your chances of getting a good outcome and holding those responsible for your injury account
Do you have a case?
We offer free, expert legal advice on personal injury cases.